Last week, five notices of proposed rulemaking (NPRMs) related to the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) were made available for public inspection at https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection.
The five NPRMs include:
- Joint NPRM—The U.S. Departments of Education (ED) and Labor (DOL) developed a joint NPRM to implement jointly-administered activities under Title I of WIOA regarding Unified and Combined State Plans, performance accountability, and the one-stop system. The joint NPRM applies to all core programs, including the State Vocational Rehabilitation Services and the Adult Education programs.
- DOL-only NPRM—This NPRM will implement changes made to the adult, dislocated worker, and youth programs authorized under title I of WIOA.
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA)—This NPRM will implement changes to programs authorized under AEFLA, which is contained in title II of WIOA.
Two NPRMs will implement changes made to the programs authorized under the Rehabilitation Act, which is contained in Title IV of WIOA, as well as new provisions added:
- State Vocational Rehabilitation Services program and the State Supported Employment Services program, as well as new provisions in Section 511(Limitations on the Use of Subminimum Wages); and
- All other Rehabilitation Act programs administered by ED—Client Assistance, American Indian Vocational Rehabilitation Services, Protection and Advocacy of Individual Rights, Independent Living Services for Older Individuals Who Are Blind programs, and the discretionary grant programs authorized under Title III of the Rehabilitation Act.
The official 60-day comment period will begin once the NPRMs are published in the Federal Register. Once the 60-day public comment period begins, written comments can be submitted through Regulations.gov at: www.regulations.gov. The Arc will be actively engaged in this review and comment process.