Last week, Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and House Majority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) each appointed three members to a new Commission on Long Term Care. Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) each appointed three members to the Commission as well. The Commission was created in the American Taxpayer Relief Act that took effect on January 1, 2013 and replaced the Community Living Assistance Services and Supports (CLASS) Act.
The commission will be comprised of members named by President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Reid, Senate Minority Leader McConnell, House Speaker Boehner, and House Minority Leader Pelosi. Below is a list of the current members of the commission, President Obama has not made his appointments to the commission.
- Bruce D. Greenstein is the Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals.
- Neil L. Pruitt, Jr. is Chairman and Chief Executive officer of UHS-Pruitt Corporation, an integrated health care company.
- Mark J. Warshawsky, former Assistant Secretary for Economic Policy, Treasury Department.
- Judith Brachman currently serves as a member of the Ohio State Crime Victims Assistance Advisory Board.
- Stephen L. Guillard serves as Chief Executive Officer and President of Belmont Nursing Center Corp.
- Grace-Marie Turner is president of the Galen Institute, a public policy research organization that she founded in 1995 to promote an informed debate over free-market ideas for health reform.
- Dr. Bruce Allen Chernof currently serves as the President and Chief Executive Officer of The SCAN Foundation, with the mission to advance the development of a sustainable continuum of care for seniors.
- Judith Stein is the founder and Executive Director of the Center for Medicare Advocacy, Inc.
- George Vrandenburg is a civic activist, philanthropist, and President of the Vrandenburg Foundation.
- Laphonza Butler is the President of SEIU ULTCW – the United Long Term Care Workers’ Union which represents in-home attendants and nursing facility workers in California.
- Judith “Judy” Feder is a Professor of Public Policy at Georgetown University and was Dean of the Georgetown Public Policy Institute from 1999 through 2007.
- Javaid Anwar, M.D. is the CEO of Quality Care Consultants which provides consultant services in health care strategy and policy development for employers and health care organizations.